SEO For Your Ecommerce Business
SEO is one of the single most valuable traffic sources for eCommerce businesses. It’s not as instant as paid traffic, but the ROI from a well-executed SEO strategy can be far higher.
However, the eCommerce industry comes with its own special set of do’s and dont’s when it comes to SEO. That’s why it’s important to partner up with an SEO agency that really gets how SEO works with regard to eCommerce businesses.
Our rankings here are meant to serve as a jumping-off point for your search. We’ve done much of the legwork involved in vetting these agencies from a fundamentals point of view so you already have it narrowed down to the best of the best!
Our Top 50 Firms - Full Comparison Table
Important Questions To Ask Ecommerce SEO Agencies
If you have an ecommerce store, you know how important your website is to your business. In fact, for many businesses, a large portion of their sales come from online orders. With more people using their phones and mobile devices to shop online, it is more important than ever that online shoppers can find your website.
To ensure that your website can be easily found by searchers, your website must be displayed on the first page of Google’s search results for a related query, or search term. If your website is not displayed on the first page, your decreased visibility will result in less traffic to your site which means fewer online sales. For example, if you sell eco-friendly water bottles online, your website should be listed on the first page of the search results for a search query such as “orange eco-friendly water bottle.” This is because most online shoppers will click on one of the first results that they see.
To get your website to rank highly in the search results, search engine optimization is a necessity. SEO is a way to tell Google that your website is trustworthy and is relevant to a particular search term. That way, Google will be more likely to list your website on page one. With a large ecommerce store, it can be time-consuming to optimize your whole site for search engines, so many companies choose to hire an SEO agency to handle the work.
When choosing an SEO agency to manage your ecommerce store, you need to make sure that you are choosing a trustworthy agency who will provide you with positive results. SEO is an investment, so it is important to be on the same page about various costs and expected results. To help you choose the best SEO agency for your ecommerce store, we have broken down a few questions you should ask an agency before hiring them.
How Much Does SEO Cost?
SEO is a service that encompasses a variety of smaller services, and therefore, many agencies offer custom packages at varying costs. You should ask cost-related questions up front, so you are aware of every cost and fee. Here a few cost-related questions you should ask an agency before investing your money in them:
- What is your management fee? – This is different from agency to agency, but there is often a management fee that accompanies SEO packages. Ask about the management fee up front so that you are aware of additional costs that are not part of the SEO package. Then, you can shop around to find an agency that is aligned with your budget.
- What services are included? – SEO covers a wide range of services from writing and implementing new website content to building links on the site. It is a good idea to ask about the services included in your SEO package so that there is a clear understanding of the work being done. Doing so will also tell you if there are added fees for additional services, or if there is one price for everything. Some agencies will charge you for individual services while others have one overall fee.
- What is the monthly cost? – When it comes down to it, every agency should be able to give you a clear monthly cost for SEO. After discussing packages and management fees and deciding on an SEO plan, the agency should be able to break down the cost line by line. Because most agencies will charge you on a monthly basis, it is important to know what the monthly cost comes out to. This will help you determine if SEO is affordable for your business.
Asking these types of questions of your SEO agency will help you understand the overall cost. Make sure you know exactly which services you are getting and how much they are going to cost you before hiring an SEO agency to manage your ecommerce website.
How Long Does SEO Take To See Results?
After you have an understanding of the cost of SEO, you should ask questions about results and performance. Make sure you have a clear way of measuring the outcome of SEO efforts so you can determine if the cost was worth it. Also, talk about things such as how long it will take to see results. Set up goals with pre-defined timeframes so you can clearly track the progress of SEO efforts. Here are a few questions to ask an agency about results and performance:
- How long does SEO take to see results? – This question can be difficult to answer because SEO is a relatively slow process. There are few instances where you will see increased rankings in Google overnight or even within a few weeks. Often, it can take several months of SEO work before the results pay off. Ask this question so you are on the same page about when you should expect to see results.
- What metrics do you track? – In order to determine if SEO efforts are successful, you need to set up agreed upon metrics or key performance indicators. Perhaps you want to track success by search engine rankings, or maybe you care more about website conversions. Asking this question can make sure that you are tracking the metrics that are important to your business.
- How often is SEO work added to the site? – Ask this question so that you are clear on the SEO deliverables your agency should be providing. Whether they work on your site a few times each week or a few times each month, make sure you have a clear understanding of how often an agency is working on SEO.
Because performance and SEO results are of the utmost importance to your ecommerce site, you should ask every agency questions like these up front. Furthermore, they should be able to provide you with clear and truthful answers. After discussing performance related questions, you should have a better idea of the SEO deliverables and how long it will take to see results.
Picking the perfect SEO Company For Ecommerce Work
Finding the best SEO agency for your ecommerce store is all about asking the right questions. The main areas to ask questions about are cost and results. Knowing the overall cost and the expected outcomes will help you to determine if an SEO agency can provide you with the services you need within your budget. There are many other questions you can ask of an SEO agency, but asking these questions is a great start.
An SEO agency must be able to earn your trust before they are able to earn Google’s trust of your website. Don’t be afraid to probe and ask tough questions before hiring an agency. Also, don’t feel committed to the first agency you talk to. Instead, you should ask these questions of several agencies so you can compare answers. This will help you narrow down the choices until you land on the agency that is the best fit for your ecommerce company.
Shop around, ask the tough questions, and demand truthful answers. Following these steps with this list of questions as your guide, you should be able to find the perfect SEO agency in no time.